Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Legend is True

I am still soaked as i sit down to write this post. I talked to a kid yesterday who told me a story of a five and a half foot muskie that lives where i've been fishing. "A new world record" he said. It's not the first time i heard that story, so i didn't take it seriously until today. My friend Jordan and i were fishing walleyes, catching quite a few. I bet we had caught close to 20, and i had a nice 16 inch walleye on my metal stringer, dangling in the water. I was fishing away when the canoe shook with such force i thought Jordan had fallen off his seat or something. I looked at him and he was looking at me and the canoe shook again with such force i thought it might tip. I looked down over the side and a big red tail came out of the water, soaking both of us and dumping about 2 gallons of water in the canoe. The muskie was not going to give up on that walleye, so i had time to look at it, get the net, stick the net in the water and get it on her head. I lifted her head up and all i could see was the tail of the 16 inch walleye sticking out of the mouth, and the thing's head was about the size of the back of one of my kitchen chairs. We made eye contact. Needless to say, the rest of the muskie didn't fit in the net, so it rolled back in the water, still ferociously yanking on the walleye. By this time i was just trying to get the muskie off the stringer to keep from tipping the canoe ( i didn't want to go for a swim with that fish!). It finally broke my steel stringer and took the walleye, leaving us soaking wet with no dinner. The fish was so huge, i can't believe it. Now i have a reason to fish there, and it's personal. If i catch that thing it is going on my wall, above the bed, as long as I can convince my future wife. This time it's personal. I hope Kyle or Jeremy or someone can come up and help me finish the job. I'll make time whenever you have time.

4 comments:

Hypkis said...

Dang. I'd help if I was there...guess you'll just have to come down here to the land of 140 lb paddlefish instead!

Kyle Borg said...

If you were "man" enough you would have jumped in after it and wrestled him into submission. But alas, you are weak :-)

Josh said...

I know a fish story when I hear one!!

Of course that didn't happen when I was with you...oh yeah...we didn't have fish hanging over the canoe on a stringer...would have if I could hold on to a stinking Bluegill!!

Hope you get him buddy!

Jeremy and Kate said...

My husband should come sometime! He would love it! I'll let him know he is certainly invited!