Friday, February 8, 2008

Timothy

I didn't want to put a new post up because there was so much coming from the last one. So i decided to post something related to what people were commenting on the past few days here.
1 Timothy 4:12 states "Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." Now this verse gets used often in various kinds of youth ministry (including campus ministry) in some interesting ways. Keeping in mind that Timothy had been taught good doctrine and instructed in the ways of Christian living for probably about 15 years (some of that teaching by the apostle Paul, no less!), and he was surely not younger than 35 years of age when Paul wrote this letter to him, in what ways can this verse be useful in my work with students? I am convinced it should be used, but i want to use it properly. What does it really say about being in leadership? I am looking forward to having knowledge bestowed upon me. Thanks in advance!

3 comments:

Jason Nota said...

I know this is not about the topic but I just need to comment on the big fish picture. WOW I keep dreaming of the day I catch Michigan's state record Northern Pike.

Kyle Borg said...

Well since the fish is already commented on I will throw up some thoughts.
I found John Gill's commentary specifically helpful in this instance. I think we need to first consider the meaning of what Paul is saying to Timothy. As we know Timothy held an official office in the Church. Up until now Paul is giving Timothy directions for public worship, personal sanctity, and the order and governing of the Church. In 4:11 he says "Command and teach these things." I think that verse 12 bears a connection with verse 11. Perhaps Paul is foreseeing some possible problems and in order to counter that he is encouraging Timothy to fulfill the duty of his office in all integrity, knowing that God himself has appointed him as an elder over the house of God. Verse 13 seems to further support this because Paul again mentions the public reading of the Word. So Paul is reminding/encouraging Timothy to fulfill the duty of his calling like a good and faithful steward.
I hope that thus far you agree with the context and meaning of this exhortation. It seems evident that you could use this to encourage your students to fulfill their calling in the Lord to the Church with faithfulness (assuming your students have received a calling to serve in such a manner). But I do wonder if sometimes we take this verse too far and spiritualize it too much, after all, isn't this a pastoral charge? Certainly we aren't going to tell every "youthful" person to fulfill the duties of verse 13. For instance, I would never tell a woman to devote herself to the public reading of Scripture and teaching and preaching (I take this to mean an active role on Timothy's behalf, not just "attending" the Church service). But why do you we separate the command of 12 from 13?
That's my thought, probably not worth much, but at least I got you to read this whole thing!
Grace.

andy said...

It's true, i did read the whole thing. Thanks Kyle, i would agree heartily with what you wrote. Sometimes i use the passage to encourage some of my student leaders to set an example for their friends. But i do agree that these verses are an elder or pastoral charge.