Tuesday, February 12, 2008

it's cold

I love winter, but for the first time in my life i'm getting sick of it. It all started on our wedding day, when it snowed so much that about 70 people who thought they would be there couldn't make it, and the ones who did make it had to stay at camp since the roads were closed. Joanna and i made it a little ways down the road and stayed at a very interesting hotel for the night. Then i had a trip to St. Louis, and was meeting up with people in Madison. It was snowing badly and took me 4 hours to get to Madison. On the way back up from St Louis there was ice and fog, and a 50 car pile-up near Madison. That was a long trip. Travel over Christmas was awful. We had to leave a day early to stay ahead of a storm to get to my parents house, but still drove through snow to get there. Then we drove through a storm to get to Joanna's family's place, and had to stay a day late because of a snow storm and still drove through snow to get home. Perhaps the worst was a few weeks ago driving down to Chicago for training. Ice and snow made for a bad combination, and there were 40 accidents between Stevens Point and the state line on I-39. That was a bad 8 hour drive to Chicago. I'm sick of driving in the snow.
I'm also sick of the -30 degree wind chills. The air temp hasn't been above zero again for a few days here. That makes it difficult to get outside, and i'm not happy being inside all the time. My cabin fever is better this week though, thanks to being able to take the canoe out on Friday. It was above zero, and there was a little bit of open water below the dam. I realized that there was a lot of current, and a lot of big ice chunks floating down the river to dodge. I figured that since i was married now i should not die, so i just paddled in a big circle and went back home. It sure helped though. I never thought i'd say this, but i'm ready for summer now.

2 comments:

Kyle Borg said...

Hmmm...well praise the Lord that he has so graciously provided needed snowfall for the spring crops! :-)

Jeremy and Kate said...

I never thought I would hear you say that either Lickel! If it is too cold for you- then it is too cold for all of us! :)
We just need to endure a little longer and hopefully it will warm up enough for you to go ice-fishing or something... BUT don't fall in b/c we like you alive and I know your wife does too! :)
Kate