Thursday, January 17, 2008

Stuck

It's snowing like crazy. Last night they said we might get an inch of snow today. I woke up this morning with more than that on the ground and it's still falling. They just issued a storm warning and it's going to snow all day. Our area pastor's prayer meeting was cancelled, and it doesn't look like i'll be able to drive to Fond du Lac tonight to visit with one of the missionaries Joanna and i are blessed to support. Right now i'm just happy Jay and I got out fishing on Tuesday (62 walleyes), so i got my outside fix for the week.

Today I am humbly reminded of something my student leaders said during a large group meeting a month ago. They were showing their appreciation for Joanna and I for our first semester of work with them, and the chapter president said something about how amazing it was to know that we are "praying hard for them by name every day." I hope the conviction didn't show on my face too much. I've been thinking, the most important parts of my job are to help students find a local church, lead them into scripture, get them reading and talking about good books, and then pray for them. There is no better way for them to grow than to have them be shepherded by a church family, nourished by the Word of God, learn from John Piper, J.I. Packer, R.C. Sproul, and then lean on God to make them grow. So I'm going to set aside some extra time for prayer and hope that i will do it on other days, even when i am not stuck inside. What could me more important?

1 comment:

Kate said...

Great post Andy. I am so blessed by your friendship.
During this illness, I have been humbled by a physical inability to serve the way I was "used to". God has been constantly convicting me of serving through prayer on an hourly basis. Prayer truly is the best way we can support someone and I am honored to do so...but also sad that it took this circumstance to help me realize that the "front line" ministry isn't the most important...