Friday, January 4, 2008

National Staff Conference

Hey ya'll, sorry it's been so long since i've written, but i've got some time now that i am in St. Louis at InterVarsity's National Staff Conference. I'm truly enjoying the conference so far, which, i'll be honest, is a bit of a surprise. I'm feeling grateful for the organization, and am enjoying hearing about how God has been at work through IV. I'm grateful for the conference because it gathers together many wise and knowledgable people. I get to eat with and talk to many men who have written books and are full of great ideas. In an hour, i have an appointment with Will Metzger, who wrote a book called Tell The Truth. It got wonderful reviews from Philip Graham Ryken, Edmund Clowney, John Piper, John McArthur, and J.I. Packer, if that gives you any idea about the content. I'm a little excited to ask him about his dual supervision over his staff work between his IV supervisors and the elders of his church.
Books. InterVarsity Press is celebrating its 60th year of existence this year, and i'm grateful for them. Publishing everything from Francis Schaeffer to F.F. Bruce to C.S. Lewis and thousands more, they have been a forerunner in Christian publishing companies. Their service to campus staff is amazing, and often times i wonder how they stay in business when they are giving away to staff so many books and offering countless other materials at about half of the printing costs. I bought 13 books yesterday (since Joanna didn't answer the phone when i called to ask if it was ok). InterVarsity gave us some food money for the week, but i figured books are more of a feast than soggy burgers and fries.
Some people have been inquiring about books i am reading or want to read. If i were more computer savvy, i'd try to set up a book discussion on the blog. Maybe i'll work on that next week and see if it works. Anyway, on the bus ride to St. Louis, i read a wonderful book titled The Life of God in the Soul of Man by Henry Scougal. It was amazing writing on the Christian life and God's work in saved souls. Both philisophical and theological, it is written in classic Puritan style. The work supposed aided in Whitefield's salvation and gave fuel to the Great Awakening.
I am also finishing a book called Irresistable Revolution, which has some very interesting ideas but is a little off-the-wall, talking about voting for Jesus for President and rallying against the government. I wouldn't normally recommend it. Another book i am reading is Slaves, Women, and Homosexuals. If anyone out there has also read it, i could use a little help trying to understand it. The book is trying to explain God's heart for some controversial teachings in scripture, but is rooted deeply in a kind of liberation theology that flies off into the realm of positing all sorts of theories to explain what scripture "really means." Instead of good hermaneutics, the book seems to start with a goal in mind and wind its way around until it comes to the conclusion people like to hear. For example, the apostle Paul speaks of slaves in the New Testament because slaves existed in those times. But God's ultimate goal (based in His character and desires)is that slavery would end, so that is what Christians need to work toward. By the same reasoning, Paul cautioned against women leading the church, but God's ultimate goal is to empower women to teach and lead in any context, and that is what Christians need to work toward. Maybe i'm too close minded, or my mind is still stuck in 1665, but i can't separate gender from role that easily. God did create gender with role, didn't He? It was created that way to display His majesty and portray God's relationship with us, wasn't it? Hopefully someone reading this has read the book and can help me understand. I'll write again soon.

6 comments:

Dana said...

I think Joe Arant read that book.

Anonymous said...

Interesting subject (gender and roles, especially within the church) -- am just now delving into this difficult topic myself. Various circumstances have led me to investigate this matter. I'd like to take a look at the book (Slaves, Women, and Homosexuals), however if your analysis is correct, this book may not provide the kind of scripturally sound reasons I'm interested in. Who is the author? I hope you are able to get the book discussion up and running! Thanks for your work on this blog.

Anonymous said...

For an interesting discussion on gender roles and egalatarianism vs complementarianism (patriarchy)see:

http://faithbyhearing.wordpress.com/category/by-person/c-j-mahaney/

An audio file on "Feminism in Your Church and Home" can be downloaded. The discussion is in favor of complementarianism and sites the book "Slaves, Women, and Homosexuals" as a book coming from the other side of the issue. The people on the discussion panel are theologically solid leaders, and strongly adhere to the concepts of biblical manhood and womanhood.

andy said...

Monika, thanks for the link. The book is written by William J. Webb. It might be worth picking up just to see how the arguments are formed. Of course, IVP publishes it. Let me know if you are interested for real, i might be able to find a copy.

Joe Arant said...

hey lickel,

I've heard of that book also, although I haven't read it. my old roommate kyle read it and we debated about its contents. I should probably read it sometime.

I sent in a recommendation for Urbana '09 for Paul Washer to speak. They e-mailed me back, thanking me, and said that they would consider him! Let's put it this way, if Paul Washer is going to be at Urbana '09, I'll be there! :)

Kyle Borg said...

You know it's so funny. Genesis clearly tells us that God created them male and female. I have a hard time believing so many contemporary feminists who want to say the only "real" difference between men and women is their physical make up. It seems obvious to me that God created them male and female and in accordance with their gender ascribed creation ordained roles for them. The other thing I could never figure out is why so many women in today's church want to be so eager to pastor. Should anyone really be that eager to minister? I mean seriously, it's not just a simple cute vocation...I think women should be thankful they haven't been called into the ministry of the preaching of the Word and administration of the sacraments.
But who knows...perhaps I'm another one of those closed minded Puritans stuck in 1665...or maybe just "too" Biblical.
Grace.