Thursday, November 1, 2007

prayer

Sola Scriptura
Solus Christus
Sola Fide
Sola Gratia
Soli Deo Gloria

Happy Reformation Day y'all!

In the spirit of reformation, last week was a big week in changing student's perceptions of why InterVarsity exists on campus. We had a night for praying for the campus and our lost friends on Monday at large group. At one point, David, our chapter president, got up and asked the chapter what they thought IV was for. Many responded with things like "fellowship," or "spiritual nourishment," or "teaching from God's Word." It was horrifying, but i cannot say i was surprised. So David asked what the local church was for. "The same stuff" was the normal response. He asked why we are re-creating a church service on campus, and then challenged us with our specialized purpose, to be an evangelistic extension of the local church which engages the campus with the gospel. We are here to, by the power of God, seek and win the lost and build up The Church. It was an exciting time as i saw a few light bulbs go on in people's minds, but we have a long road ahead of us to change years of an inward-focused tradition.
Prayer is such an important thing. I've been blessed with many people who pray for me and with me, and it is the most encouraging thing in my ministry. I think God knows i have needed a lot of prayer recently. One great story pointing to this is of Caleb, the 2 year old son of my mentor Ben and his wife. For the past few weeks every night when his parents pray with him he wants to pray for me, and I've been thinking that this kid's perseverence in prayer puts me to shame. At any rate, I am leaving in a few hours to go to our Fall Conference, where all of the IV chapters from Wisconsin and the UP are coming together for a weekend of training. We are going to be talking a lot about prayer and an evangelistic vision with the Stevens Point students, and I am very excited for that. I'll write an update when i get back Sunday night or Monday morning. Thanks for all of your prayers and support!

No comments: