Monday, July 16, 2007

Thanks Spurgeon

God gave me a lesson in lots of things this week. I've been looking for housing in Stevens Point for Joanna and striking out on everything. It was really frustrating, and I felt bad because i wanted to have a place prepared for Joanna when she comes home. My heart was unsettled because of this, and i was definitely not content because of the situation. Tonight's devotion by Spurgeon was humbling and helped put things back into perspective. He used some passages from the Psalms to say these words; "Learn to comfort thyself in God's gracious dealing towards the church....What though thy way be dark, canst thou not gladden thy heart with the triumphs of His cross and the spread of His truth? Our own troubles are forgotten while we look, not only upon what God has done, and is doing for Zion, but on the glorious things He will yet do for His church." OK. He then went on to convict me by talking about forgetting our "little concerns" for the bigger picture of seeking the welfare of the Church.
I love being a missionary because all i have is what God gives, and i spend myself for the welfare of the Church. I hope i won't get caught up in worrying over trifles that are in God's hands, anyway. At the end of it all, it looks like God has worked through my impatience and given us a beautiful apartment to live in. He has always taken care of us before, why wouldn't He now? But i hope the rest of this post would have been the same had i not yet found a place to live. We can rest in Him in any circumstance, ad find our peace and joy in His work. I've met homeless people so full of joy because of what the Lord has done for them that it has put me to shame. I guess the "perks" God gives us in life are not worth comparing with the eternal blessings Christ has earned and given to us.

No comments: