Thursday, September 13, 2007

more fishies

Wow, i can't beleive how great the fishing is here. The fish are a little difficult to find, but i think growing up doing a mix of big river fishing and trout fishing has given me some good stuff to work with as far as knowing where fish are going to be. Thanks dad.
I think fishing is the best way to do evangelism and ministry at Stevens Point, as well as the best way to build rapport with new students. I took one of my freshman guys, Tom, out on Sunday night and we got 67 walleyes, plus the usual catfish and smallmouth, as well as some crappies and rock bass. This morning i got a chance to go with our music leader, Eric, and we caught a lot of walleyes. When we first got out, we couldn't get a walleye to hit where i usually get them every cast, so i picked up the musky rod. I make a habit of ALWAYS doing a figure 8 at the end of each cast here, because it's impossible to know when you have a follow. For no reason whatsoever, on my third cast i decided to forgo the figure 8, and a musky almost jumped into the boat trying to snatch my bucktail. Duh. I guess i'll have to go out again sometime.
New Student Outreach is winding down after 2 weeks here, and i'm feeling pretty good about settling into a more normal campus routine. This fall is going to be a little odd, because i am going to make myself work on raising support a lot. I am operating at around 70% of my budget right now, and i feel like i need to get that up over 90% before December. God has been faithful up to now, and He'll provide, but i have a lot of work to do for the ministry He's given me!
On a different note, Kyle Borg and I have been talking, but i'm working on a model for our IV chapter actually being an extension of the local church, instead of a separate entity. If any of you out there have some good ideas or advice for me i'd love to hear it!

No comments: